Would you like to teach Italian as a second foreign language? DITALS preparation course in Rome is the answer to your questions.
What is a DITALS certification?
Ditals is a certification for teaching Italian for foreigners, supervised by the University for Foreigners of Siena.
Our DITALS preparation courses in Rome are what you need if you are trying to be a teacher of Italian as a Second Language and Italian as a Foreign Language (L2 / LS).
As you know, a certification is by its nature a necessary tool to certify something that already exists and that you don’t need to create it specifically just to pass an exam. You can get ready for an exam just spending time studying BUT in order to be a quality teacher you also need:
- disciplinary competences
- pedagogical knowledge
- methodological capacity
Is it better a certification or a master?
The answer is not so simple. Actually, this question leads to another one: is it more important your study qualification or your experience?
It may be that in Italy, a master’s degree could be useful to improve your position in the graduations when you are about to get a job in teaching Italian language.
But in other countries (especially Anglophone countries) the reality is a little different: when they receive your CV , they will not only evaluate your study degree but they will mainly focus on your experience.
If you consider that a certification requires less study and preparation time, that it is generally much cheaper and that certifies your experience, methodological ability … this means that it certifies that you are a quality teacher.
DITALS I in Rome: requirements.
Anyone in possession of each of the following requirements can access the exam:
If you are an Italian native speaker you need a minimum level A2 of the CEFR in a foreign language on the basis of one of the following qualifications:
- international certification
- specific degree (language degree)
- passing a university exam in the chosen language
- qualification obtained in the country of the chosen foreign language
- passing a final exam in the chosen foreign language at public or private schools
- formal declaration certifying that a minimum level A2 course has been carried out in a foreign language
If you are not an Italian native speaker you need :
- CEFR level C1 international certification of Italian
- Secondary school qualification of I and II degree or higher degree obtained in Italy or at Italian schools abroad
- First degree Italian diploma from the University for Foreigners of Siena
- Degree in Italian Studies from abroad
Bachelor’s degree / High school diploma (valid for admission to the University in the country where it was obtained)
Language teaching training
(minimum 24 hours) which can be satisfied by choosing one of these methods:
- participation in the 1st level Ditals orientation course at the University for Foreigners of Siena
- attendance of 2 online modules organized by the DITALS Center – University for Foreigners of Siena
- participation in an orientation course in presence at the DITALS monitored institutions
- participation in a university course in the scientific disciplinary sector L-LIN02 equivalent to at least 3 credits and passing the final exam
- Being already in possession of 3 ECTS in the scientific disciplinary sector L-lin / 02, it is possible to prepare for the Ditals I exam by attending the online course of teaching Italian to foreigners.
Certificate of the carried out activity
Declaration attesting to the didactic activity carried out, according to one of the following cases:
- at least 60 hours of Italian language teaching in Italian classes for foreigners;
- at least 60 hours of internship in Italian classes for foreigners, in Italy or abroad;
- at least 60 hours of teaching of any subject at any type of public or private institution or school (also at voluntary organizations) of which at least 15 hours must be of teaching or training in Italian classes for foreigners.
- The hours of didactic activity required can be combined as long as they are included in the types indicated above.
- ECDL computer certification or equivalent qualification
- specific degree (degree in computer science)
- passing a university exam in computer science
If you are in possession of the DITALS “BASE” Certification and wish to access the level I DITALS exam, the following prerequisites are required:
1> If you are not an Italian native speaker you need international certification of competence in the Italian language at level C1.
If you are an Italian native you need at least A2 Level of the CEFR in a foreign language based on one of the following qualifications:
- an international certification
- specific degree (degree in languages)
- a university exam in the chosen language
- a qualification of study obtained in the country of the chosen foreign language.
2.> Orientation course of at least 6 hours, focusing on the profile of learners for which they intend to take the exam or, alternatively, an API module.
3> ECDL computer certification or equivalent qualification or specific degree (degree in computer science) or the passing of a university exam in computer science.